Judged from the high visibility of organized retail outlets in Bangkok Thailand appears to enjoy a highly organized retail industry which is deeply penetrated in all layers of society. Outside the CBD area of the capital the level of organized retail trade drops down dramatically and outside Bangkok remains at a low level.
Main organized retail segments are:
1) Department stores: Central Department Stores;
2) Shopping malls: The Mall;
3) Convenience stores: 7-Eleven, Minimart, Family Mart;
4) Super/Hypermarkets: Carrefour, Tesco Lotus, Big C, Foodland.
Organized restaurant formulas consists of:
1) store level: McDonalds, KFC, Sizzler, Pizza Hut, Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, Fuji, Baskin Robins;
2) street stall level: Kai Yaang Wichian, Foremost.
1) Furniture Index Furniture Mall
2) Bata shoes
Outside Bangkok organized retail is hardly existant with the exception of tourist areas like Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. In most upcountry cities and villages the daily wet market remains the most important shopping channel for every day groceries. But also clothes, shoes and household hardware are normally bought at the market or market-like open air outlets.